Peru Trekking Two-Week Tour 2022
May 21 - June 3$250.00 – $1,900.00
Join this tour to experience the magic of the Andes Mountains through various high-altitude treks. Although not for the faint of heart, you will see the absolutely indescribable natural beauty Peru has to offer.
Click the to see the daily itineraries.
Lima (1 night)
Lima is arguably the best place to get fresh ceviche, or “cebiche”, in all of Peru. Lima has a coastline that is 80 kilometers long but it never fully rains because it is a desert city: located on a desert strip between the Pacific Ocean and Andes Mountains. The city is huge with various different neighborhoods, Miraflores being the most popular.
- Check into our hostel accommodation in Miraflores, Lima! People will be arriving throughout the day, so we have no official plans until the evening. Once everyone has arrived, our whole group will get together for a tour group meet and greet!
Cuzco / Sacsayhuaman (3 nights)
Cusco is most famous for Machu Picchu, although the Inca city is located about 74 kilometers away in Aguas Calientes. Cusco was actually the capital of the Inca Empire and is still known as the cultural capital of Peru. It has been continuously inhabited for 3,000 years which makes it the oldest living city in the Americas.
- After a good night’s rest and breakfast at the hostel, we will head back to the airport to catch a flight to the city of Cuzco. Although it’s not a long flight, be prepared as we climb over 11,000 feet in elevation.
- We will check into the hostel and relax for the evening as your body adjusts to the altitude. Altitude sickness is very real and we want to make sure that you have plenty of time to adapt. Drink a mug of hot tea and read a book on one of their hammocks!
- Spend today hanging out at the hostel if you need another day to adjust to the altitude. Take your time!
- For those who feel up for it, Cuzco is a great place to go exploring. Your guides can help direct you if there’s something specific you want to check out, or even if you just want some suggestions! The Plaza De Armas is a must-see and a hotspot for delicious street food.
- Join in on one of the hostel’s evening activities but don’t stay out too late because we have our first warm-up hike tomorrow!
- Wake up early and snag a good breakfast at the hostel before your tour group meets in the common room. Today we’ll be doing the 2 hour hike up to the Inca Archaeological Site, Sacsayhuaman. It will be an easy hike but a needed warm up before our long trek!
- Your tourist ticket is paid for to enter Sacsayhuaman so all you have to worry about it is soaking it all in. The walls of the city are massive boulders stacked on top of each other and are absolutely jaw dropping.
- There are other historical Inca sites in the area that you can check out, but that may be at an additional cost.
- We’ll head back down to the city for a late lunch but you are welcome to spend more time exploring. Just make sure to start the hike down before sunset or it will be hard to see!
- Head to bed early tonight because we’ll have a VERY early wake up tomorrow!
- Included: Sacsayhuaman trek and entrance
- Optional: Other Inca sites
Salkantay / Machu Picchu (4 nights)
Although most have heard of the famous Inca Trail, the Salkantay Trek is another way to get to Machu Picchu by foot on a backpackers budget. It is called the Salkantay Trek because hikers trek over and through the Salkantay Pass at 4600 m. It is was voted one of the 25 Best Treks in the World by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine.
- Rise n’ shine bright and early as we start our longest and hardest trek to the beautiful Machu Picchu.
- We will take a van to Mollepata which gives you time to nap before we start the hike of the day. We’ll stop in Salkantay Pampa to set up camp and enjoy a filling dinner. Don’t worry, your tents and all of your food will be provided! However, we will be camping at a high altitude so make sure to have a good sleeping bag, warm clothes, and some hand warmers for the night!
- Wake up to a cup of tea and a gorgeous view as we eat breakfast before returning to our trek. We will reach Collpampa camp by sunset to set up camp and discuss the adventures of the day. Today is one of the hardest so there will be lots to recollect on.
- Today will consist of a lot of downhill walking so be prepared! We will be moving away from the snow filled mountains and descending into the wet forest (similar to a jungle). The weather will be warmer but make sure to apply plenty of bug spray before you change into shorts!
- We’ll camp in La Playa for a big family dinner as we finish the hardest days of the trek.
- We’ll get back in a van for part of today and then dropped off to finish the rest of our trek. It’s a beautiful scenic route following railroad tracks and you’ll enjoy the sunset as you enter back into (sort of) civilization.
- Aguas Calientes is the tiny tourist town at the base of Machu Picchu and we’ll stay one night here in a hostel. Get showered and refreshed!
- It will be a brutally early morning wake up but it’ll be worth it as we beat all of the tourists to see Machu Picchu. We’ll do a small trek and tackle some stairs to get to the entrance of the sight, just in time for sunrise.
- Sunrise in Machu Picchu is indescribable and you’ll be able to stroll through the ruins tourist-free. If you decided to pay to hike Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, it’s best to start early so you’ll make it down in time for sunset.The city is beautiful at sunset and you can feel the magic of the Inca.
- Head back to Aguas Calientes and make sure to look up at the night sky, you might see the Milky Way!
- We’ll all meet at the train station to catch the evening train back to Cuzco where we’ll check back into our hostel for some needed rest.
- Included: Salkantay Trek (all food, lodging, guide, entrance fees)
- Optional: Hike Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
Cuzco / Vinicunca Rainbow Mountain (2 nights)
- Recovery day!
- Check out any sites you had missed or discover new areas of the city. Don’t forget to walk through the city markets to snag some souvenirs and a Peruvian sweater.
- Feel free to join in on any hostel activities but make sure to head to bed early for our last trek tomorrow.
- Start the morning with a big mug of tea as we leave around sunrise to our destination: Vinicunca, or Rainbow Mountain. The van will drop us off at the trailhead and we will begin the trek at about 14,000 feet above sea level in elevation.
- This is a difficult hike because of the high altitude but the view is beyond words. It won’t even look real once you’ve reached the top!
- Take your time down a rocky downhill and after dinner, we’ll return to our hostel in Cuzco.
- Included activity: Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain)
- Optional activity: City markets, hostel activities
Lima (2 nights)
- Say goodbye to the high altitude as we fly back to Lima today. Once we arrive at the hostel, enjoy the evening exploring the Miraflores nightlife.
- We’ll start the morning with an Old Town Lima Tour led by your tour guides. The tour will include a trip to the Larco Museum. The museum is famous for its “sex museum” but it has various other interesting Inca artifacts.
- Explore more of the Old Town on your own or return with the group to visit sites in Miraflores.
- Return to the hostel for a goodbye meeting with your tour guides. Attend an evening hostel activity for your last night with the group!
- Everyone will leave the accommodation throughout the day. Don’t forget to trade contact info with your new lifelong, international friends before you leave to your next destination or return home!
- Included: Old Town Lima Tour
- Optional: Evening hostel activity
- Be 21+ years old
- Be English language proficient – all tours will be provided only in English.
- Be physically capable – expected to carry all of your own luggage and be able to walk mid to long distances.
- Have health insurance that covers international travel or travel insurance. We recommend going with World Nomads travel insurance, as they are a worldwide recognized travel insurance company and trusted by many travelers and companies.
- Have current passport with expiration date at least 6 months after the end of the tour.
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude!
Fees and Payment
- Cost: $1900
- Deposit (required to secure your spot, you may pay this below): $250
- 2nd Payment (due 5 months prior to start date – Dec. 21, 2021): $550
- 3rd Payment (due 3 months prior to start date – Feb. 21, 2022): $550
- Final Payment (due 1 month prior to start date – April 21, 2022): $550
People of all races, religions, ethnicities, and sexual orientations are welcome – we are a non discriminatory company.
Due to constantly changing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, all of our tours are subject to delays, changes, or cancellations. Thank you for your understanding.