- This event has passed.
Coastal Colombia Two-Week Tour CLOSED
July 1, 2020 - July 14, 2020$700.00 – $1,600.00
Join us on this tour as we backpack through the most famous coastal cities of Colombia! Get ready to explore white sandy beaches, colorful marine life, and a trip into the mountains.
Click the to see the daily itineraries.
Cartegena (2 nights)
Cartagena is known for its two main tourist neighborhoods: Old Town and Bocagrande. These two places are actually total opposites, with the Spanish-Colonial architecture in the Old Town and the brand new skyscrapers in Bocagrande. However, regardless of being in either area, you’ll always find live music, colorful scarves, and delicious street food.
- Check into our hostel accommodation in Getsemani, Cartagena! People will be arriving throughout the day, so we have no official plans until the evening. Once everyone has arrived, our whole group will get together for a tour group meet and greet!
- If you’re an early riser we recommend waking up at 6 am and grabbing a taxi to Cerro de La Popa for sunrise. You can see the whole city and it’s gorgeous!
- No worries if you want to sleep in, after breakfast your guides will take the whole group to San Felipe Castle for a tour of the UNESCO site.
- After the tour we’ll walk to the Old Town, trying street food and listening to street musicians play on the way.
- Check out the walls of Calle de Sierpe in Getsemani (instagram worthy!) on your way back to the hostel for a siesta.
- In the evening there will be an optional activity to go to Cafe Havana, a famous salsa club. There is an entrance fee but it’s a blast!
- Included: City tour, San Felipe Castle
- Optional: Cafe Havana
Rosario Islands (2 nights)
The Rosario Islands are an archipelago located in the Caribbean off the coast of Colombia. The islands and surrounding waters are well protected and preserved because they are a part of the Rosario and San Bernardo Corals National Natural Park. It’s a spectacular place to snorkel and discover the marine wildlife.
- Get your bathing suit on as a we take an early morning boat to the Rosario Islands. Make sure to withdraw enough money from an in-town ATM because there won’t be any at the islands!
- We’ll have our own private beach house with a cook and caretaker (fancy fancy!) so get settled in and ready to explore! Oh, by the way, all of your home cooked food is included in the cost so enjoy your delicious local Colombian cuisine!
- Spend the day sunbathing or going for a snorkeling adventure.
- Beach day! Ask to take the boat to explore some of the other beaches (at an additional cost) or go on a tour further inland. Or just relax in a hammock and swim in the calm ocean, this is your day to do as you please!
- We’ll have our own little beach party for our last night here!
- Included: Rosario Islands! Food!
- Optional: Snorkeling, extra boat rides, extra tours
Cartagena (1 night)
- Get packed up as we leave paradise in the morning, but don’t worry, there’s many more adventures ahead!
- We’ll return to Cartagena to treat our sunburns and spend the night before our next destination. Check out the Old Town for a nightlife like no other!
Santa Marta (2 nights)
Santa Marta was the first Spanish settlement in Colombia and the oldest surviving city in the country. Although the city itself isn’t large, it is surrounded by natural wonders and the famous Tayrona National Park. This is also where Simon Bolivar, the liberator of many countries in South America, spent his last days and his estate is a prime tourist attraction.
- Have a book and a music playlist ready because today we’re taking a shuttle bus to Santa Marta. The ride will take most of the day so take some time to settle in when we arrive at the hostel.
- Check out a beach party at El Rodadero this evening!
- After a good night’s rest, your tour guides will lead a city tour to see many sites: Quinta de San Pedro Alejandrino (one of the most important places in Colombia), Cathedral Basilica Menor, and the Museum of Gold.
- Return to the hostel for some dinner and join in on one of the evening activities!
- Included: City tour
- Optional: Beach party
Taganga (2 nights)
Taganga is slightly north of Santa Marta, only about a 10 minute drive away. The traditional fishing village is famous for affordable scuba diving and close access to Tayrona National Nature Park. Although it is quickly growing into a tourist hotspot, it is one of the oldest remaining colonial settlements in Colombia and maintains its history.
- Get up a little earlier today to catch the bus to the beach town called Taganga. It’s as fun as it sounds! It’s a short bus ride and will leave our belongings at the hostel before going exploring.
- Enjoy the evening in our cozy hostel and go to bed early for a big day tomorrow.
- Today we take a day trip to Tayrona National Nature Park. We will be on the road by sunrise so take a nap on the bus so you’re ready for the hike!
- We’ll walk to Cabo San Juan and stop at La Piscina Beach for a swim. Grab a bite to eat before we make the return hike, there will be lots of food vendors along the beach!
- Back in Taganga, spend the evening relaxing or attend a night beach party!
- Included: Tayrona National Nature Park
- Optional: Beach party
Minca (2 nights)
Minca is a small village in the Sierra Nevada on the outskirts of Santa Marta. It is a top bird watching destination with over 300 bird species in the area. Regardless of its low population size, there is much to see and do with spectacular hikes, extreme mountain biking, and delicious coffee and chocolate tours.
- Sleep in after a night of fun, pack up your bag, and get ready for cooler weather.
- We’ll make our way back to Santa Marta and then catch the bus to Minca. Don’t forget to hit the ATM before we leave because there are no ATM’s in Minca!
- When we arrive at our hostel, soak in the beautiful sounds of the forest and get settled. We’ll have a family dinner, group sunset walk, and end the night with a bonfire!
- There’s LOTS to do in Minca and you get to choose! If you’re a daredevil, check out the white water rafting. If you want to chill, book a relaxing spa and massage appointment. If you brought your hiking boots, explore the nearby trails but make sure to bring a map so you don’t get lost!
- Keep an eye out for the hundreds of bird species and if you’re really interested, book a bird watching tour!
- We’ll finish off the day with a family dinner and a bonfire party!
- Included: Sunset walk, bonfire party
- Optional: White water rafting, bird watching, trekking, spa
Barranquilla (1 night)
Barranquilla is one of Colombia’s most important port cities. It was nicknamed “Colombia’s Golden Gate” because it was so innovative for the time period, post-World War II. This is also when the city became a safe haven for the European immigrants that helped shape its culture today.
- Say goodbye to the mountains as we head back to Santa Marta to catch our bus heading to the city of Barranquilla. It’s only a few hours of total travel time but make sure to have a book handy.
- Once we arrive, leave your belongings at the hostel and join your guides on a tour of the city. You will primarily be visiting El Museo del Caribe and the Paseo Bolivar for historical knowledge and some fun souvenirs.
- Tonight, attend one of the hostel’s evening activities!
- Included: City tour
- Optional: Evening hostel activity
Cartagena ( 1 night)
- Prepare for an early wake up as we catch the bus back to Cartagena.
- When we return to the hostel, meet in the common room for a goodbye meeting with your tour guides.
- Go out on a pub crawl for the last night with the group!
- Everyone will leave the accommodation throughout the day. Don’t forget to trade contact info with your new lifelong, international friends before you leave to your next destination or return home!
- Be 21-35 years old
- Be English language proficient – all tours will be provided only in English.
- Be physically capable – expected to carry all of your own luggage and be able to walk mid to long distances.
- Have health insurance that covers international travel or travel insurance. We recommend going with World Nomads travel insurance, as they are a worldwide recognized travel insurance company and trusted by many travelers and companies.
- Have current passport with expiration date at least 6 months after the end of the tour.
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude!
Fees and Payment
- Cost: $1,600
- Deposit (required to secure your spot, you may pay this below): $250
- 2nd Payment (due 6 months prior to start date – Jan 1, 2020): $450
- 3rd Payment (due 3 months prior to start date – Apr 1, 2020): $450
- Final Payment (due 1 month prior to start date – June 1, 2020): $450
People of all races, religions, ethnicities, and sexual orientations are welcome – we are a non discriminatory company.